Getting started manufacturing acid(ified) foods
When you seal foods in containers for ambient storage, the process usually creates the conditions necessary for the growth of the bacteria that causes botulism. Therefore, strict regulations exist at both the federal and state levels requiring you to prove your product is safe. The following are some of the steps that are required to get your product to market.
- Contact your state Dept. Agriculture to learn rules and obtain permits
- Develop your food products with safe acid levels!
- Get your food product tested and get a “process letter” Contact us using our form.
- File paperwork with your state and the FDA
Safe processing of acidified foods (short course)
- Learn more about acid(ified foods) and safe processing (Via USU Food Safety Extension). This course has been reviewed by the FDA and determined to meet the requirements in the CFR’s. It is equivalent to Better Process Control School. However, it is designed for small food entrepreneurs using manual fill operations.
RESOURCES for manufacturing acid(ified) foods
- Recommendations on pH meters and measurement
- Food acidity and safety (fact sheet)
- USDA Meat canning directive (has good GMP policy bullets)
- GMA Resource Guide Containers and Closures
- Lots of great stuff from Dr Ingham at Univ. Wisconsin
- Acid(ified) foods policies and SOPs template (link)