When you can or jar foods in containers for ambient storage, the process usually creates the conditions necessary for the growth of the bacteria that causes botulism. Therefore, strict regulations exists at both the federal and state levels requiring you to prove your product is safe. The following are some of the steps that are required to get your product to market.
- Contact your state Dept. Agriculture to learn rules and obtain permits
- Develop your food products with safe acid levels!
- Get your food product tested and get a “process letter”
- File Paperwork with your state and the FDA
- Learn more about Acid(ified foods) and safe processing (Via USU Food Safety Extension)
- Recommendations on pH meters and measurement
- Food acidity and safety (fact sheet)
- USDA Meat canning directive (has good GMP policy bullets)
- GMA Resource Guide Containers and Closures
- Sample forms from Cornell University
- Lots of great stuff from Dr Ingham at Univ. Wisconsin
- Acid(ified) foods policies and SOPs template (link)