GUIDANCE: The most important factor is that the pH of your product absolutely MUST be pH ≤ 4.6 AND most published scientific data on thermal processing essentially require one of the the following:
- pH 4.2 to 4.5 require a thermal process approximately 200°F for 30 minutes (typically these foods are cooked in batch for this time and then bottled as in item number 2.).
- pH ≤ 4.2 requires a thermal process of approximately 180°F for 1 -3 minutes
- pH ≤ 3.8 with 0-20% mustard flour and ≥1.0% acetic acid may be cold filled provided its held at room temperature for 7 days before sale (mustard only)
- pH ≤ 3.8 with 1.5% acetic acid AND 0.1% sodium benzoate may be cold filled provided its held at room temperature for 7 days before sale
- pH ≤ 3.3 may be cold filled provided its held at room temperature for 7 days before sale (most references are based on acetic acid)(Acids other than acetic acid may require a challenge study $$$$).
- Other scientific references may exist; e.g. mustards and mayonnaise-based foods.
- Without any science-based evidence for the destruction of pathogens of concern, a challenge study will be required ($$$$).