A consortium is an association of individuals, companies, or organizations with the objective of participating in a common activity (food safety) or pooling their intellectual resources to achieve a common goal.
The Retail-foodservice food safety consortium focuses on food safety issues relevant to this portion of the farm-to-fork food chain. Collaboration activities include education, training, workshops, conferences, networking events, and the creation of retail-foodservice food safety standards.
Some of the goals of the RFSC include:
- Enhance food safety in the retail and foodservice sectors in the farm-to-fork food chain
- Enable cutting edge culinary techniques under the safest possible guidelines
- Provide education and training opportunities in food safety (targeting both industry and regulatory)
- Standardize food safety processes
- Identify and encourage advanced technologies in food safety
- Reduce duplication of efforts regarding retail-foodservice food safety research, teaching, and outreach